chocolate fondant cake: si bon que c'a arreterai le temps



There are some things that can always put a smile on my face no matter what. It doesn’t matter what my day was like because a few simple pleasures can erase all the bad. Even if it's just temporarily, it’s still a form of relief. A handwritten letter, phone calls from amazing friends, a day at the beach, a classic novel, fresh peaches with the juice running all down my hands, picnics, flower crowns from like when I was 14 years old, old bikes, my adorable little niece and so much more.


Even something as simple and as wonderful as Polaroids. The vintage style of the photos is just pure delight. I’m not sure why, but photographs have the power to not only capture time but also make it beautiful and engaging. I have been interested in photography for a very long time. I love the simplicity of black and white photos, but there’s something about vivid colours that are so attractive to me. Colour, texture, different exposure…

I especially love the way photos make food look like a piece of art. An amazing photograph will give you the urge to reach through your screen and eat whatever food is pictured. Warning, do you not look at food photography when you are starving. Consequences include increased starvation and heartbeat, delusion, and the intense desire to eat something like this ridiculously delicious melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cake. Now I am definitely not saying that my photographs are amazing (there are some pretty spectacular food stylist out there like some of my favorite bloggers) but even I start watering at the mouth when I see this cake. 



Melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cake
Adapted from recipe on foodbeam

Ingredients
 
200g dark chocolate
2 sticks butter (1 cup or 240g)
8 eggs (400g)
2 cups sugar (400g)
1 cup flour (130g)



Procedure
 

Preheat the oven to 350°F, and generously butter a 9-in springform pan.

In a heat-proof bowl, melt the chocolate and butter either in the microwave or over the stove. In another heatproof bowl set over a simmering pot of water (bain-marie), whisk the eggs and sugar until just warm (but not hot!). Basically just until room temperature. Pour the melted chocolate over the egg mixture slowly and mix well. Mix in the flour with the whisk until smooth (don’t worry if there are still be a few lumps). 

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes until just set. A cake tester will come out very wet in the middle but more like fudge towards the edges. It will set more as it cools down. 


Comments

  1. this cake was so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make this this weekend!! would you suggest to have it alone or would it work with a bit of cream and strawberries?

    I also can't figure out the difference here between creme fraiche and fresh cream (should mean the same thing, but no!) - think whipped cream would be overwhelmingly sweet though.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think creme fraiche is a little more tart (?) Not sure, but I tasted it once and I'm not a big fan. I don't know if fresh cream means heavy cream. Check the percentage, if it's 35% then it's probably whipping cream. I think it would be great with strawberries and whipped cream, but I also just loved it on it's own. It is quite heavy though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah see they have creme fraiche, fresh cream, double cream, whipping cream....SO confusing!!! I'm making it for someone that likes the fudgiest of brownies (I've already made your other recipe heehee) and those brits love their cream so I figured might be nice to deintensify the chocolate without adding to the sweetness. I'll let you know how it goes! thanks love

    ReplyDelete
  5. so the cake was a HUGE hit!!!! my roommate actually even said it was the yummiest cake she's ever had! I think I must've put it in a few minutes too long because it wasn't as ooey gooey as yours looks but was still way wetter on the inside and super fudgy. thanks for the great recipe! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! That's actually what it's supposed to be like, but I didn't bake mine long enough. It was fine by me :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts