cherry and apricot crisp: love song


Aside from Christmas, there are a couple of times of the year that make me really excited. And they all happen to involve food. Fresh produce in fact. Rhubarb in the spring/early summer, yummy Quebec strawberries, delicious Ontario peaches in August (BEST peaches of life) and just about right now....sweet, sweet cherries. 

 

I have to tell you something.

I love cherries. No, I mean I LOVE cherries. The darker, the better. They have to stain my fingers to be amazing. Yes, they're expensive but if you wait long enough, they go on sale for a short period. Totally worth it.
But I have to admit something else: I'm not a big fan of cherries in desserts. You know those cherry blossom chocolates that come in those little yellow boxes? HATE them. I never really cared much for Black Forest cake, or cherry ice cream, or cherry pie, or pretty much any other cherry-filled dessert. I know it's a little strange, but I think they are best left untouched and just naturally delicious. 

 

So what are cherries doing in my crisp? Weeell considering it's been about a year since I've had cherries, I thought I might try it out. The result: great crisp with the apricots but I could do without the cherries. I think I just prefer the raw texture better than baked. But the wonderful thing about crisps is that you can use just about any fruit. I think stone fruit like peaches, plums and apricots are best. Or rhubarb and strawberry is always a fantastic combination. In any case, you can use whichever you like best!

Dark Cherry-Apricot Crisp

Recipe adapted from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast by Martha Stewart

Ingredients

2 pounds of cherries and apricots (combined) or other stone fruit
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 + 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Procedure

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut cherries in half and remove pit; same with apricots, cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Toss with 1 cup of the white sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the flour in a medium bowl. Place in 9x13 inch baking dish or individual ramekins.


In a food processor or with a pastry cutter, pulse remaining 1/2 cup flour with the butter until pea-sized clumps form. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, rolled oats and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and mix until just combined. Sprinkle over fruit and bake until fruits are tender and topping is golden, about 30-35 minutes. Serve warm and preferably with ice cream!


Comments

  1. Oh, I am so happy I found your blog today! It is beautiful and your recipes, this one included, sound delicious. And I am ♥ the photos. Look forward to reading more.

    Maria @ A Platter of Figs

    P.S. Your 'About Me' totally made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks so much Maria! Your blog is really beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely summer crisp, love cherries and apricots together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, look forward to when cherries go on sale and stock pile them in my freezer. Your crisp sounds amazing! I love the combination of cherries and apricot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crisps just scream summertime! Thanks for linking it up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love crisps of any kind and this looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts